Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Goodbye Twelfth Night ... Hello Hamlet

Today was our last day in Shakespeare class of working with Twelfth Night.  The kids chose their favorite scenes, and working in groups, acted it out for the rest of the class.  There was some pretty creative use of costumes and interesting interpretations.  They all did a great job and had a really fun time.

I did not have a sitter for Emma, so she joined the class today.  Let me tell you, she really thought she was a part of the class.  When Alex was reading some lines from Twelfth Night (he was playing the part of Malvolio) she runs in the house and gets a copy of Hamlet and does her own "reading".  It was pretty funny!  

So now we move on to Hamlet.  Away from the Comedy, into the Tragedy.  I can't wait to see what the kids can do with this one!  On tap, I have 6 movie versions we're going to watch selected scenes from.  Don't tell them, but my favorite is Kenneth Branagh!  I want them to come up with their own favorite.  We will be going back to the park to see Woodward Shakespeare Festival's production of Hamlet on stage.  If it's anything like Twelfth Night, I have a feeling the kids' will choose the stage over the films.  

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."  Twelfth Night, Act II, Scene V

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. Shakespeare in the summer time. ANd I'm cleaning vomit up off the kitchen floor. (please refer to my blog for the explanation) I have never read "Twelfth Night". I think I gave up on Shakespeare after my brief love affair with him in high school. I do love Kenneth Branaugh, though. Did you ever see the Romeo and Juliet with Claire Danes and...oh, I can't remember the guy. I want to say Leo D., but I'm not sure it was him. Bizarre, but ... well, bizarre.