Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Wall (update on schoolroom project)

Remember these? ...


Here's what I did with them ...


This is "The Wall" in our schoolroom (formerly known as the living room/dining room).  It's the only available wall in the entire room.  The other walls are busy with either bookshelves, a huge hutch, or windows.  So this is really the only wall that I can hang stuff on.  There used to be a beautiful painting there that my mother-in-law gave us.  Once we started our homeschooling journey that painting no longer fit the mood of the new purpose for the room.  So it now hangs in the family room.  

What this wall really needed was a chalkboard.  So I painted one.  Directly onto the wall.  Then I made a cute little frame for it.  It worked but I still wasn't quite satisfied.  I needed a spot to hang the abundance of artwork from my 3-year old.  The fridge just wasn't cutting it.  What I needed was a CORK WALL!

So I stuck a bunch of those cork tiles up there.  Then added a nice little rope border around the edge ...

Gosh I love my hot glue gun.  It has to be one of my favorite tools!

And here is the end result ...
(see it way over there?)
It wouldn't be complete without a cat on the table and tons of school books.  This is what the school room looks like on a typical school day.  

Here is the wall close up ...

Here's my 3-year old pointing out the letter A page that she did.

See the big ol' A full of a bunch of other A's?


And on the subject of the letter A ... I think we're in our 3rd week of working on A.  That's ok, we're in no big hurry.  We have a fishing line strung across the top of the entryway into the schoolroom and we've clipped photos of things that start with A and wrote the titles of 2 books that start with A that we love to read.  

I can only imagine the fun we're going to have with the letter B!


Ok, gotta run ... here's my son waiting for someone to help him with his school work.  I don't think the cat  really cares so I better go lend a hand.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! It looks great. I tried to do the cork board thing, but the boys just ripped them off the wall. But, they were a little younger then. It's so cool how you're doing preschool with Emma. Looks like she's having a great time.

Lisa said...

ARE YOU SMART OR WHAT!!!!!

I WISH I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT WHEN MY PEEPS WERE YOUNG. AWESOME IDEA!!!

HUGS FROM MAINE

http://sophie4me.blogspot.com/