Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dinner Conversation with an Almost-6-year-old

Our family is pretty good about all of us sitting down to dinner together. Granted, there are a couple of nights a week where some of us are off playing floorball, or are at drama rehearsals. But for the most part, we are a family that sits down to dinner together on a regular basis. It is one thing I love and treasure about my family.

Tonight however I had the pleasure of dining with just one of my children. My husband was busy treating a patient and my older two kids were so engrossed in their homework I didn't have the heart to tell them to stop and come and eat. (translation: one kid didn't want a full stomach before floorball practice and the other was busy on the computer and chose not to come when the dinner bell rang).

So my almost 6-year-old and I dined together. The dinner conversation was fascinating.

Below is the transcript:

Emma: So whatta you wanna talk about?

Me: I don't know. Do you want to talk about something?

Em: Well yes. That's what you're supposed to do. You sit down, you eat, and you talk.

Me: Ok, let's talk. You go first.

Em: Well ok. Did you know that Tom loves Becky?

Me: Yes, I think I heard something about that.

Em: Tom, he's so handsome. He sat down with Becky and asked her to go 'gaged.

Me: You mean, engaged?

Em: Yeah, that's what I said. He said, Becky have you ever been gaged before? And Becky said no, what does it mean to be gaged. And Tom said I think you have to kiss. And he gave her a ring. And he said something about some other girl and Becky got mad and said she didn't want to gage him anymore.

Me: That's interesting. How do you know about Tom and Becky?

Em: You know, from the movie.

Me: Oh yes. Well wait until you read the book. Did you know it's a book?

Em: Of course. Just like Huckberry. He's in the movie too. But the movie is much better than the book.

Me: Really? Because I usually like the books much better than the movies.

Em: Hmmm. So when did you get gaged?

Me: In 1989. By the way, do you know what engaged means?

Em: Of course. You have to kiss and get married. It's very romantic.

Me: You think so? What does romantic mean?

Em: Mom, you know. When he's handsome and everything. That's romantic. And do you remember when the 2 kids across the street moved away? I was like 3 years old.

Me: I remember. What does that have to do with romantic.

Em: And then Riley moved in?

Me: I think you're changing the subject here.

Em: Riley is my friend.

Me: Yes, I know. What do you like about Riley?

Em: She's nice. Can I have dessert?

Me: You have to finish your dinner. You've been talking so much you haven't eaten.

Em: Well I'm done.

Me: Eating or talking?

Em: Yes!

The End

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun conversation. She's a bright little girl.