Thursday, August 7, 2008

Produce Day!

Every Thursday is produce day.  Meaning ... we get this box of produce from our local CSA.  That stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  We've belonged to this "club" for almost 2 years.  You simply become a member and you get a new box of produce every week!  It's always something different too.  It's like getting a semi-unexpected treat each week.  Obviously it's going to be seasonal produce.  Plus it's local (or at least within that 100 mile diet thing, I will post on that at another time), it's organically grown, and it's nice to know I'm supporting sustainable agriculture.  I choose not to find out what's going to be in the box ahead of time.  So the contents are always a surprise.  I really look forward to this ... really, it's like the highlight of my week to get surprise produce!  It doesn't take much to thrill me!  

Here's what this week's looked like:

... Potatoes, Nectarines, Pluots, Cherry Tomatoes, Onions, Figs, Lettuce ...


The cat always jumps up to see what's in the box and give it a good sniff.  I think she realizes this comes from a farm.  A place an indoor kitty would never, never get to see.  I'm sure she dreams about it though.  (don't tell hubby the cat is on the table!)  


I'm not sure there are words that can describe how yummy these tomatoes are!  They are a golden orange color.  So pretty and so sweet!  It really takes restraint for me to not eat the entire box the minute I get them home.


These were the big surprise this week!  They are brown turkey figs.  So so yummy!  We love fresh figs.  And there just happens to be a house down the road here that has a little fruit stand and sells fresh figs for a few weeks in the summer.  We stop there frequently!  This box of figs were consumed at dinner tonight ... no more left.


Oh and I almost forgot ... there were bell peppers in the box too.  But they missed the raw photo.  I had already sliced them up for a stir-fry!  


Hey MOMMY ... when is that dinner gonna be ready?  Mom?  Can you hear me????
(this little Missy single-handedly ate half of those figs ... what a stinker!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Figs! Oh, yummy! I LOVE figs. They are so good. I need to plant a fig tree.